- CHALLENGER (7)
- Pad 39-A (29)
- 17th Shuttle mission
- 7th Flight OV-O99
- 3rd Rollback
- Robert F. Overmyer (2), Commander
- Frederick D. Gregory (1), Pilot
- Don L. Lind (1), Mission Specialist 1
- Norman E. Thagard (2), Mission Specialist 2
- William E. Thornton (2), Mission Specialist 3
- Lodewijk van den Berg (1), Payload Specialist 1
- Taylor G. Wang (1), Payload Specialist 2
- Flow A:
- OPF - Oct. 13,1984
- VAB - Feb. 10,1985
- PAD - Feb. 15,1985
- Flow B (rollback):
- VAB - March 4,1985
- OPF - March 7, 1985
- VAB - April 10,1985
- PAD - April 15, 1985
Click here for Additional Info on 51-B
- April 29,1985,12:02:18 p.m. EDT. Flight first manifested as 51-E;
rolled back from pad due to timing problem with TDRS-B payload.
Mission 51-E cancelled; orbiter remanifested with 51-B payloads.
Launch April 29 delayed two minutes,18 seconds due to a launch processing
system failure. Launch Weight: 246,880 lbs.
- Altitude: 222nm
- Inclination: 57.0 degrees
- Orbits: 111
- Duration: Seven days zero hours, eight minutes, 46 seconds.
- Distance: 2,890,383 miles
- SRB: BI-016
- SRM: L016(HPM)
- ET : 17/LWT-10
- MLP : 2
- SSME-1: SN-2023
- SSME-2: SN-2020
- SSME-3: SN-2021
- May 6, 1985,9:11:04 a.m. PDT, Runway 17, Edwards Air Force
Base, Calif. Rollout distance: 8.317 feet. Rollout time: 59 seconds.
First Crosswind Landing. Orbiter returned to KSC May 11,1985.
Landing Weight: 212,465 lbs.
KSC Home Mission Index
Last Mission 51-D
Next Mission 51-G
- Primary payload was Spacelab-3. First operational flight for
Spacelab orbital laboratory series developed by European Space
Agency. Five basic discipline areas: materials sciences, life sciences,
fluid mechanics, atmospheric physics. and astronomy main mission
objective with Spacelab-3 was to provide high quality microgravity
environment for delicate materials processing and fluid experiments.
Two monkeys and 24 rodents observed for effects of weightlessness.
Of 15 Spacelab primary experiments conducted, 14 considered successful.
Two Get Away Specials on board.
Last Updated Friday June 29 11:21:02 EDT 2001
Jim Dumoulin (Redacted)